Wednesday, July 30, 2014

What Would You Do Differently?

***WARNING: VIDEO DEPICTS ACT OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE!!!***


   Aside from who made the video, or even the depicted situation. I want to focus on the act itself and not the act along with the familiarity or reason the film maker had for making this film. 

Here are my questions:

1. What would happen if a complete stranger began banging on your door?

2.What if they forced their way in?

3. How do you react?

4. What precautions can you take to prevent this from happening?

5. Is your action different if it were a woman?

6. And Most Importantly... What would you have done differently? (No, John Quinones from, ABC's What Would You Do?, is not going to come out from behind your computer or phone.)

Please leave your answer in the comment section below. I am hoping that through discussion and sharing our thoughts, we can become better prepared if we are ever placed in a similar situation.

2 comments:

  1. I would probably try to be as quiet as possible, take the kid upstairs with the phone, hide, and call 911. Though I have experienced domestic violence firsthand, I don't have any other solutions. I was attacked while eating dinner, and it was totally unexpected. Thankfully, and also unfortunately, my son witnessed it and called 911. I was able to get a protective order though he challenged it and I had to go before a judge. I'm really grateful he granted because he has been out of my life ever since.
    I honestly don't know what other solutions there are, except I think it would be great for all public schools to have a 1 hour therapy session for kids starting from kindergarten and up. Maybe if everyone were talking more, we could all get a little healthier.
    Yes, my response is different, I'm not sure if it's because I'm a woman or because I'm just naturally not a fighter. I know some women that would fight, but I would not. You can't really predict how you will react in a situation until it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much for commenting. I am sorry that you had to experience such an event. I am happy that were able to get the protective order and away from that situation. I am not sure there is a "correct" response. As you said, "you cant really predict how you will react in situation until it happens." My main objective was to get different schools of thought. I am hoping more will comment with different views. Again, Thank You.

      Delete