So, a few weeks ago I was given the privelege of being approached by Roger Casanova to assist him in being an administrator for the CASA Group on Facebook. CASA stands for, "Community Advocates for a Safer Austin", and has grown exponetially since it came into fruition in January of 2012. CASA is essentially, in my opinion, a centralized place that neighbors from the surrounding area can come together for common good. That being the safety of our neighborhoods and families. In the words of our founder Roger Casanova:
"The CASA group is about people and communities being the “eyes” and “ears” (and voice) of Austin, looking out for one another, keeping each other informed about events (related to crime, crime prevention and community events)."
For me, the reason I joined CASA was due to the one night that my wife and I were getting ready for bed when we heard 3 to 4 pops come from outside. Both of us were 99% sure they were gunshots. So there I go, running to listen to the police scanner. Little did I know that a car jacking had just happened just minutes from my front door. I stayed awake most of that night listening in and ensuring that the trouble did not travel my way. A few days later, I saw a news report on this exact incident that can be found here. I thought, "wow, what an amazing idea for the community." from that point I joined up and began posting and re-posting items and stories that I believed would help others around me.
I am happy to say that the CASA Group has grown to encompass more than just South Austin. It has expanded to reach more people and more communities. Recently I found out that we have members from as far as Boston, MA. With such a growing number of people looking for a sense of community, I see this group as modern town square. A place where neighbors, friends, and family can come together and discuss the things that go on in our neck of the woods.
I hope you will join us and be a part of this great community. We are always up for meeting new people and learning new things.
***CASA Blog***

I am not on FaceBook and will not join because of privacy concerns. But I like your group. Please provide a way to get involved without using FaceBook.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for your reply. I greatly appreciate it. Our founder does have a blog that posts many of the same items as on Facebook. I can respect your concerns about Facebook's privacy issues. Below is the link to his blog site.
Deletehttp://communityawarenessofsouthaustin.blogspot.com/
Again, thank you for the reply and hope to stay in contact.
Have a Wonderful Day,
JC
Here is some feedback on the petition to end unsafe driving. Please forward to the rest of the board.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the intent of the petition, but there are a couple of problems with it:
> 1. TXDot: Please consider disallowing motorists to make left turns out of the Tanglewood Village Shopping Center (located at 2110 W Slaughter Ln) and north onto Manchaca Road.
*Many accidents or near accidents have occurred at this treacherous intersection of Slaughter and Manchca due to careless and/or reckless drivers attempting to blindly head north on Manchaca Road from this busy shopping center. Motorists must cross through four lanes of southbound traffic before they are able to merge north onto Manchaca.
[My comment:] This is already illegal. There is a no-left turn sign, but it is across the street from the shopping center and not very visible. There needs to be better signage in the shopping center.
What ought to be disallowed (in addition to this one) is turning into the shopping center from Northbound Manchaca.
> 2. TxDot: Please consider lowering the speed limit from the Manchaca Rd and Slaughter Ln intersection to Old Manchaca Rd from 55 MPH to 45 MPH.
*Within the last five years, this area to the south of Slaughter Ln has seen tremendous growth. Many new subdivisions and businesses have been created in this time frame, and with the increased traffic in the area, this is quite dangerous for those such as cyclists. On June 18, Austin Firefighter Colin Camp was struck while cycling in this area due in part to the excessive speed allowed on this stretch of road.
[My comment:] On what street do you want the speed limit lowered? Where is Old Manchaca Road? Is that 1626? If so, the petition should ask to lower the speed limit on Manchaca Road.
Thank You for your reply to this blog. I will make sure to get your comments to the rest of the board.
DeleteJC